The safety of students and the campus community is the highest priority at Southern Miss.
- Both the Hattiesburg and Gulf Park campuses have state-certified police departments and "code blue" emergency phones located around campus.
- Eagle Alert is a communication tool that sends students notifications via phone, text and email in the event of an emergency or extreme weather.
- On the Hattiesburg campus, there are nearly 50 “code blue” emergency phones.
- Card access controls entry to all residence halls in Hattiesburg. Residence Life and the University Police Department and jointly manage a Community-Oriented Policing Plan for residence halls.
Both campuses offer:
- Lighted routes to all key buildings
- Escort services 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Educational programs related to personal safety; drugs, alcohol and the law; crime prevention and the workplace; and property security
- Motorist assistance for jump-starts and lockouts