Freshman Orientation Agenda
2-3:30 p.m. | Check-in, Thad Cochran Center lobby
2-4 p.m. | Your choice of activities, Thad Cochran Center
- Take care of business including financial aid, student housing, meal plans, student ID, disability accommodations, etc.
- Attend optional student sessions about campus life and student finances
- Getting Involved on Campus
An essential part of a successful first year is finding an activity or group that you enjoy. Come to this session to hear more about student organizations, religious groups, intramurals and other ways to get connected on campus.
- Fraternity and Sorority Life
Are you thinking about going Greek? Learn more about fraternity and sorority recruitment and the benefits of joining a Greek organization.
- Living on Campus
Learn about what to expect living in campus residence halls. Eating on campus and meal plan options will also be discussed in this session.
- Student Finances
Hear important information regarding bill payment, financial aid refunds, student charging and other money matters.
4:15 p.m. | Welcome Session, Thad Cochran Center, 3rd floor ballrooms
5-8:30 p.m. | Student and parent sessions and dinner
- Students and parents will have dinner in the Fresh Food Company and attend sessions together about freshman success, SOAR and class selection.
Enjoy all you can eat in the Fresh Food Company with Southern Style orientation leaders.
- Preparing for Academic Advisement
Familiarize yourself with SOAR, the degree plan for your major and the basic steps associated with academic advisement and course selection each semester. (Students will attend academic advisement on Day 2.)
- Freshman Year: What Every New Student Should Know
There is a world of difference between life as a high school student and life as a college student. Our faculty will give you valuable insight on how to successfully navigate this important transition.
- Day 1 of Freshman Orientation ends at 8:30 p.m., and you are free to leave for the evening. However, you are invited to attend Eagles After Hours from 8:30-10 p.m.
8:30-10 p.m. | Eagles after Hours and Parent Reception, M.M. Roberts Stadium
- Unwind and enjoy music and refreshments as you meet current students. This event is sponsored by SGA, Greek Life, and other student leaders. Eagles After Hours is an optional event.
(Parent and students will attend separate programming throughout Day 2.)
8:30 a.m. | Welcome to Your Southern Miss, Bennett Auditorium
Morning to Early Afternoon, as directed | Academic advisement, student sessions, campus tours and lunch with your small group. Various campus locations
Early Afternoon | Check-out, class schedules, T-shirts and optional residence hall tours. Thad Cochran Center and R.C. Cook Union
- Your Southern Style orientation leader will guide you through the check-out process.
- Verify class schedule. Thad Cochran, Room 218
- Get Southern Miss T-Shirt. Thad Cochran, Room 218
- Optional Residence Hall Tours, departing at 1, 1:30 and 2 p.m. R.C.'s Lounge, R.C. Cook Union
8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Parent sessions and lunch, Thad Cochran Center
- Parents can attend sessions regarding financial aid, campus safety, and various campus services and will have the opportunity to take a guided tour of campus.
- Lunch will be provided for parents in the Fresh Food Company. Students will eat lunch with their orientation leader.
- Optional residence hall tours will be available in early-mid afternoon.
- Students and parents may begin to check out of orientation during the afternoon and will have another opportunity to take care of any remaining business regarding financial aid, student housing, meal plans, etc.
- Orientation activities will conclude in early-mid afternoon on Day 2.
Questions, Lost & Found, in front of Fresh Food Company
- 4-8:30 p.m., Day 1
- 8:30 a.m. until close, Day 2
Taking Care of Business
You do not have to take care of these items in this particular order. These departments will be available in the Thad Cochran Center on Day 1 from 1 – 4 p.m. and on Day 2 from 11 a.m. to the end of the event.
- Student ID | Ground Floor, Image Center
- Residence Life | 2nd Floor, Room 214
- Eagle Dining | 2nd Floor Hallway and 3rd Floor Hallway (1st Floor Lobby on Day 2)
- iTech | 2nd Floor Hallway (1st Floor Lobby on Day 2)
- Disability Accommodations | 3rd Floor Hallway (1st Floor Lobby on Day 2)
- Student Health Services | 3rd Floor Hallway
We understand that most students will have questions and concerns about their financial aid (scholarships, loans and grants), and we want to be sure that you leave orientation with the answers and information you need.
General Inquiries about Billing and Financial Aid
We encourage you to attend the Student Finances session on Day 1. There will also be a Student Finances Session for parents
on Day 2, and students will receive additional information about money matters during small-group activities on Day 2.
Questions about general issues related to tuition payment, student charges, accepting financial aid, etc., will be addressed during all of these sessions.
Specific Questions about Your Individual Financial Aid
If you feel that it is necessary to talk with a financial aid counselor about the details of your financial aid application and acceptance, financial aid counselors are available to assist you. However, in order to ensure that students have adequate time to have their questions answered and concerns addressed, please adhere to the following schedule:
- If you are assigned to Groups 1-12, you can visit Financial Aid on your own from 1-4 p.m. on Day 1, 2nd Floor, Room 210.
- If you are assigned to Groups 13-25, you can visit Financial Aid on your own from 11 a.m. to the end of the event on Day 2, 2nd Floor, Room 210.