Orientation Before and After Checklists
Before you begin your first semester at Southern Miss, please keep the following in mind:
Before You Attend Orientation, You Should:
- Learn your SOAR password. You will have to log into SOAR during orientation. Your username is a lower-case “w” followed by your 6- or 8-digit Southern Miss ID number. Visit campusid.usm.edu and click on Set Password Recovery Options to ensure you know your password before you arrive.
- Log in to your Southern Miss email account. Follow these instructions or log in to Microsoft Office 365’s Outlook email. Your Southern Miss email account is the primary way that your professors and the university will communicate with you, so it is important that you activate this account and start regularly checking it.
- Familiarize yourself with the degree plan for your major. You will be required to select your major when you register for Orientation. Each academic major has a degree plan that outlines the courses you'll need to take in order to earn that degree. You will create your class schedule each semester around this required coursework. Take some time to view your degree plan and to think about the courses you would like to take during your first semester.
- Complete your campus housing application. Campus housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, and Housing and Residence Life will not assign housing to students until an application is filed and the processing fee is paid.
- Submit any AP, IB, CLEP or college credit to Admissions. If you have earned college credit from a source outside of Southern Miss, you must submit proof to Office of Admissions so that it can be applied toward your degree.
- Send your immunization records to Admissions. State law requires that you submit proof that you have been immunized twice for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Be sure you send that documentation to Admissions before classes start. Upload a copy of your proof of immunization.
While At Orientation, You Should:
- Get your student ID made. Having that ID made makes it official: you're a Golden Eagle! Make sure to hold on to it - you will need it every day.
- Research meal plan options. Students who live on the Hattiesburg campus are required to purchase a meal plan. Representatives from Eagle Dining will be on hand during orientation to discuss your options.
- Talk with staff in Financial Aid. Financial Aid counselors will be available during Orientation to speak with you individually about your financial aid. A veterans benefits coordinator will also be on-site.
- Create your class schedule. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the degree plan for your major before you attend orientation. Your academic adviser will help you finalize a class schedule during Orientation.
- Get your questions answered. There will be a variety of opportunities at Orientation to have your questions answered. Student Orientation leaders, staff members, and faculty will gladly answer any questions you have and address any concerns. We understand that there is a lot of information to process, and we want to help you in any way that we can!
After Orientation, You Should:
- Order your textbooks. You can preorder your textbooks through Southern Miss Barnes & Noble. You will need your class schedule to get started.
- Send final transcripts to Admissions. Recently graduated high school seniors should send a final official transcript that reflects all grades earned during senior year and date of graduation. New transfer students should send a final official transcript (with no work in progress) from the last college or university attended.
- Get excited about Golden Eagle Welcome Week. Golden Eagle Welcome Week (GEWW) is how we welcome new students to campus in a big way! This is a fun experience that will help you meet people and learn more about how to have a successful first year at Southern Miss!