Chemistry - B.S. (Licensure)
The licensure option in chemistry combines a chemistry curriculum with required education courses to achieve a degree plan accredited by the American Chemical Society (ACS) and nationally recognized by the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA). Furthermore, the licensure program is part of The University of Southern Mississippi’s Professional Education Unit. The Professional Education Unit is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The mission of the department in the training of much-needed secondary school chemistry teachers is deeply rooted in the traditional Southern Miss role in preparing K-12 teachers for the state of Mississippi.
Chemistry teachers, particularly those with a second certification area such as physics or math, are in great demand in Mississippi high schools. Scholarships are available from the state of Mississippi and federal grant agencies to pay the college costs of pre-service science teachers. Salaries are competitive with other B.S.-level chemistry positions.
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- Students graduating with a B.S. degree in Chemistry-teacher certification will demonstrate basic knowledge of the content of chemistry required to teach high school chemistry.
- Students will have mastered the general skills required to teach chemistry in a high school chemistry class.
- Students will be able to conduct research and implement inquiry in a high school class.
- Students will be able to integrate the nature of science into a high school class.
- Students will be able to plan and organize a safe learning environment for high school chemistry students in accordance with National Standards
- Students will be able to relate chemistry to the local and regional communities in a high school chemistry class
- Students will have provided evidence of professional growth by the time they graduate.
- Students will be able to plan and implement an effective curriculum in a high school chemistry class.
- Students will be able to assess learning of high school chemistry students in accordance with National Standards
- Science and math
- Biological Sciences - B.S.
- Biological Sciences - B.S. (Microbiology)
- Biological Sciences - B.S. (Environmental Biology)
- Biological Sciences - B.S. (Licensure)
- Biological Sciences - B.S. (Molecular Biology)
- Chemistry - B.S.
- Chemistry - B.S. (ACS-Certified Biochemistry)
- Chemistry - B.S. (ACS-Certified Chemistry)
- Chemistry - B.S. (Biochemistry)
- Forensics - B.S. (Chemistry and Biochemistry)
- Marine Biology - B.S.
- Marine Science - B.S.
- Physics - B.S.
- Physics - B.S. (Licensure)
- Polymer Science - B.S.