Tourism - B.S.B.A. (Tourism Management)
The Tourism major develops decision-making, financial, and strategic management skills appropriate for careers in tourism, casino, resort, and hospitality industries. Students develop an understanding of the stakeholders and industry practices necessary for success in entry-level managerial positions in these industries or other general business sectors.
Few careers offer the great diversity and lifestyle options of tourism management majors. Graduates are successfully employed in entry-level management positions that have strong career paths at highly competitive salaries.
With the assistance of professors, students find engaging and challenging international employment directly in the primary hospitality sectors such as:
- Convention industry resorts
- Countless industry suppliers, such as:
- Guest-Tek a high-speed Internet, HDTV and voice service provider to hotels
- food, wine and spirits distributors
- online travel companies
Southern Miss was the first university in the state of Mississippi officially designated by the state Institutes of Higher Learning to offer this major, and even today is one of very few with the program. The department was founded in the mid-1960s and over the years has built a strong reputation as the place to come for a hospitality degree.
As long as there are leisure and business travelers, there will be a vibrant hospitality industry. Even during recessionary periods, there are travelers and therefore jobs for those who have a passion for people and service, which are at the core of this industry.
The college also has a Business Honors House, a residence where students can be completely immersed in business education in a living-learning environment. No other university in the state offers this program.
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of industry concepts, terminology, and use in appropriate industry context.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the internal dynamics and decision management process in the tourism industry.
- Students will demonstrate understanding, concepts, and applications of how different stakeholder groups interact with the tourism industry.
- Students will be able to apply and understand financial concepts commonly used in business and specific to the tourism management industry.
- Students will understand the importance of strategic management and the role of management in organization and as a result, be prepared for a career in management.
- Business administration
- Travel and tourism
- Management - B.S.B.A. (Business Administration Management)
- Management - B.S.B.A. (Human Resources Management)