Athletic Training - B.S.
The Bachelor of Science degree program in athletic training is designed to provide students with a firm foundation in the professional preparation for a career in athletic training.
The Athletic Training program (AT) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). All athletic training majors must complete the 89 semester hour program curriculum as well as the university General Education Curriculum (GEC) requirements.
Students who wish to pursue athletic training certification by the Board of Certification (BOC) and Mississippi Athletic Training Licensure should major in athletic training.
Initially, freshman students will be admitted to the pre-AT major. Admission to the pre-AT major, however, does not ensure progression to the "Professional Phase" AT major.
*Please Note* The application process for the AT Program takes place only during fall semester. The application process for admission into the program is competitive, and merely completing the application process does not guarantee admission. A maximum of 16 students will be accepted each year.
Student Learning Outcomes / Program Objectives
Students completing the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training will receive instruction and be evaluated in the NATA’s Athletic Training Education Competencies in the following content areas:
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Prevention and Health Promotion
- Clinical Examination and Diagnosis
- Acute Care of Injury and Illness
- Therapeutic Interventions
- Psychosocial Strategies and Referral
- Healthcare Administration and Professional Development and Responsibility.
Students completing the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training may be eligible to sit for the National Athletic Trainers' Association ( NATA) Board of Certification Exam, which will earn the credential ATC (Athletic Trainer, Certified).
Students completing the Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training will be prepared for an entry-level position as a certified Athletic Trainer in a variety of professional settings.
- Physical therapy
- School administration
- Kinesiology - B.S. (Exercise Science)
- Kinesiology - B.S. (Kinesiotherapy)
- Kinesiology - B.S. (Physical Education Licensure)
- Recreation - B.S. (Therapeutic Recreation)
- Sport Coaching Education - B.S.
- Sport Management - B.S.B.A.