Why Southern Miss
If you're CREATIVE and INNOVATIVE, begin your journey here.
Southern Miss offers prestigious programs, study abroad, nationally recognized research, and support to help you succeed.
Our Honors College is the sixth-oldest in the United States. Many core classes are available under an honors designation, providing an academic challenge and a smaller and more close-knit learning environment.
- More than 90 undergraduate academic majors and 80+ graduate programs
- Undergraduate student/faculty ratio of 17:1
- Nationally recognized programs in the arts, polymer science, business and history
- Top programs in Mississippi for nursing, education and accounting
- Study-abroad opportunities in more than 20 countries
- Support offices for freshmen like the First Year Initiative, Writing Center and Speaking Center
PUSH boundaries, SEIZE the day, stay true to yourself.
Southern Miss students come from every corner of Mississippi, 47 states and 63 countries. Students can find the familiar but also stretch their horizons with new friends and opportunities.
Hattiesburg Campus Life
It's easy to walk or bike to class, grab a quick and healthy meal at one of six main campus dining spots -- or a coffee at Starbucks. Students can choose from 280 student organizations, participate in numerous events, attend arts performances, and cheer the Golden Eagles' 16 athletic teams.
- New freshman residence complex, Century Park South, has three residence halls and 954 beds
- Meal plan options for campus eateries, including Fresh Food Company, Chick-fil-A, Subway and Starbucks
- Free student membership to the campus fitness facility, the Payne Center
- Affordable services provided by Student Health Services and Student Counseling Services
- Successful campus safety initiatives, including an emergency notification system, controlled card-access to residence halls, and a university police escort service
- Adjacent to campus is a gateway to the Longleaf Trace, a 41-mile stretch of reclaimed railroad tracks that serves as a walking, jogging, biking and equestrian trail.
Gulf Park Campus Life
The Gulf Park campus is centrally located along the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast in Long Beach on a 52-acre campus adorned with historic live oak trees. Students can choose from 40 undergraduate degrees, 18 graduate programs and more than 30 diverse student organizations, and participate in numerous events and performances.
- On-campus dining at the Beach View Café
- Free student membership to the new Fitness Center and affordable integrated health and wellness services at the new Health Center
- Technology-enhanced classrooms and laboratories
- Undergraduate degrees in Entertainment Industry (Film) and Marine Science are only available at Gulf Park.
Make a new HOME and LIFELONG memories.
You're not just deciding where to go to college — you're also choosing where to live for the next four years. Both the Hattiesburg and Gulf Park campuses and their communities offer opportunities and amenities for students.
Founded in 1910, the University's Hattiesburg campus is known for its beauty, with many historic oak trees, brick walkways and green spaces. A 30-foot high bronze statue of a golden eagle, Lofty Return, sits at the front of campus by the All-American Rose Garden.
With 140,000 residents, Hattiesburg is not too big if you're from a smaller community and not too small if you're from a bigger city.
Hattiesburg and Southern Miss earned two national rankings in 2014: No. 10 in the Livability.com “10 Best College Towns” and No. 24 in the GreatValueColleges.net “50 Great Affordable College Towns in the U.S.”
- Campus size is approximately 1 square mile
- Hattiesburg is the "Hub City," located about 90 minutes from New Orleans, Jackson, Mobile and the Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Downtown Hattiesburg, east of campus, offers a cool mix of local shops, restaurants and music venues.
- Oak Grove community, west of campus, has familiar chain and national restaurants and stores.
About Gulf Park / Long Beach
The Spanish Mission style educational facility was first founded as the Gulf Park College for Women, but reopened following Hurricane Camille in 1972 as the Gulf Park campus of The University of Southern Mississippi. By Fall 2013, all campus buildings damaged by Hurricane Katrina were restored.
Located in the city of Long Beach, Gulf Park provides a relaxed environment for study and preparation for the next phase of life and career.
- Campus is approximately 52 acres of beautiful beachfront property
- Houses one of the oldest specimens of the Live Oak tree, known as "The Friendship Oak," that dates to 1487
- Long Beach is one of a series of contiguous beach communities along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, each with its own history and personality
VALUE the EDUCATION and experiences.
A career, friends, a university — and team — you love … you'll see the benefits of a Southern Miss experience the rest of your life. That degree will also put more money in your pocket.
Two recent studies show the economic value of a college education: Americans with a four-year degree earned 98 percent more per hour in 2013 than those without. Not going to college, an economist reported, will actually cost you up to $500,000 in lost wages over your life.
Generous financial aid packages are available for those with demonstrated need.
Financial Aid Sources
- Generous merit-based scholarships for scholars and leaders
- Federal student grants and loans available
- Additional state financial aid available for Mississippi residents
- Opportunities for part-time campus student jobs
Earn your DEGREE, live your DREAM, change the world.
You may win a Daytime Emmy or a Pulitzer Prize, be nominated for a Grammy, or win the Super Bowl. You may become a teacher, a nurse, an accountant, or a business owner.
Graduates are accepted into prestigious graduate and professional programs, including Columbia University, Harvard, Duke and the London School of Economics and Political Science. Anything is possible with a Southern Miss degree.
You just have to make the choice.
- Pre-professional programs are available for law and a variety of health-related fields.
- Career Services hosts job fairs, resume-writing and job-interview workshops and etiquette lessons for formal dining in a business setting.
- The Southern Miss Alumni Association can help graduate members network for jobs.
90+ academic programs, convenient locations, active student life, affordable value.
80+ academic programs and the Carnegie Foundation's designation of "higher research activity."
The most fully online degree programs and online courses in Mississippi. Degree-seeking students must meet admission requirements.
Southern Miss hosts international students from 60+ countries and welcomes international applicants.